Wrestling falls in season-opening dual

Wrestling falls in season-opening dual

TIFFIN – Concluding a busy day of events for Heidelberg, the wrestling team fell 32-9 in their season-opening dual against Indiana Tech, an NAIA school. In front of a nearly-full Seiberling Gymnasium crowd, the Student Princes took the first two bouts but were unable to keep that going as they ended up falling.

The match started at the 165 pound weight class, where Aaron Banko took on John Weldon from Indiana Tech. About 30 seconds into the 1st period, Banko scored a take-down to take the lead. After a Weldon escape, Banko succumbed to a take-down and ended the period down 3-2 despite a valiant effort to escape in the final seconds. Banko began the second period on top and was able to ride out the entire period, even earning a point to even up the score at 3. He then started the third period on the bottom and quickly scored an escape to take the lead. Banko scored one more take down late in the period to finish off the 6-3 win to open the match with a victory for the Berg.

At 174, freshman Tyler Hammack faced Tyler Goldman in his first collegiate action. Hammack was the victim of a take-down about a minute in, but he quickly escaped. Hammack scored a take-down of his own after some scrambling, but an escape by Goldman ended the period with the two tied at 3. An escape by Hammack opened the 2nd period and turned out to be all the scoring for the period. Goldman got his own escape to open the third period and tie the score and took the lead with a stalling penalty on Hammack.. Hammack then scored a take-down, but Godlman escaped to tie things back up. A huge take-down by Hammack with under a minute to go earned him the 8-7 win.

Patrick Brown aced LJ Grayson of Indiana Tech in the 184-pound bout. Grayson quickly scored a take-down. A Brown escape didn't last long, as Grayson scored another two shortly thereafter. Brown fell to another takedown in the period as he trailed 6-2 at the end of the first. Brown started the second period on top and rode out the period but gave up a stalling point and trailed 7-2. He started the third period on top as well and gave up an early escape and later a take-down as he fell by a major decision of 10-2.

At 197, Rickey Bruce faced Bo Davis, and Bruce scored an early take-down to take the lead. After allowing an escape, Davis scored a take-down on an attempted shot by Bruce and earned near-fall points, scoring one more take-down in the period to hold a 9-3 lead after the first. Bruce opened the second period with an escape, but trailed at the end of the period 11-4. He wasn't able to get anything going in the third period and fell by a major decision, 14-4.

In the heavyweight match, Kyle Jenkin took on Kegan Clark-Sanchez. Jenkin gave up a take-down early, but made the reversal to tie things up. Clark-Sanchez then imposed his will and was able to pin Jenkin 56 seconds into the bout.

Tyler Price faced Sawyer Miller in the 125 pound match, with Price giving up an early take-down. He was able to escape, but Miller scored another take-down to end the period with a 4-2 lead after Price escaped again. Price started the second period on the bottom and scored a very late escape to make it just a 4-3 deficit. Miller responded with an escape of his own to start the third period. Price wasn't able to score in response to bring things even and dropped a 5-3 decision.

Brandon Conrad took on Mitch Pawlak in the 133-pound bout. Conrad was pinned 2:48 into the bout after trailing 4-1.

Justin Kihn and Travis Barroquillo were the two to face off in the 141-pount bout. After a scoreless first period, Kihn picked up an escape in the second to take a 1-0 lead to the third. With a neutral start to the third period, no scoring occurred, but Barroquillo earned a point for his riding time in the second to force overtime. Kihn gave up a take-down early in the OT period and fell 3-1.

In the 149-pound bout, Damon Cheek took on Jacob Gross and the two wrestled to a scoreless first period. Cheek earned a pair of back points in the second period and was able to ride out the entire two minutes. He then earned an escape to start off the third period and was able to get one more take-down to earn a 5-0 win.

In the final match of the night, Amier Cobb-Bradley faced Chase Hack, with Hack scoring a quick take-down in the first period after taking a few seconds of injury time after a scramble. Cobb-Bradley picked up an escape, but fell victim to another take down to trail after the first period 4-1. He started the second period down and scored an escape and followed that up with a takedown of his own, but then Hack countered with a reversal to make it 6-4 at the end of the period. Hack pulled away after a neutral start in the third and earned the pin with a total time of 5:39.

The Final score ended up at 32-9 in favor of Indiana Tech, as the Berg was unable to build off their opening pair of victories.


The Heidelberg wrestling team will travel to Pennsylvania next weekend for the Washington & Jefferson Invitational on Saturday, November 14th. That event is scheduled to start at 9:00 a.m.